Freitag, 5. Dezember 2014 | 19.00 Uhr
Sonderführung: Wissen & Staunen
In der Stille der Nacht - Fackeln weisen den Weg
The former Benedictine abbey is located south of the city of Ulm in Upper Swabia. Founded in 1093 by the Counts Hartmann and Otto von Kirchberg and dedicated to St Martin, the monastery was populated by Benedictine monks from St Blasien in the Black Forest. An ambitious renovation and expansion project began in 1714, turning the abbey into an awe-inspiring Baroque masterpiece.
The monastery library, located in the north wing, is not to be missed. Its exquisite Rococo interior features an ornamental, winding gallery supported by multiple columns. The numerous statues and sweeping ceiling fresco represent the architect’s vision that the library be a place for preserving “treasures of wisdom and science”.
The facility has another point of interest for visitors with the monastery
museum. Here the history of the abbey focuses on the mundane
aspects of cloister control and management.
The monastery church was built in the imposing, monumental style typical of late-Baroque architecture. The dimensions are impressive: 72 metres long by 27 metres wide. The colourful ceiling frescoes, painted by Januarius Zick, are considered some of the most important representations of this art form in the Württemberg region. The roof, constructed in 1774, spans the entire church, and is a masterpiece of Baroque workmanship and architecture.